Outdoor Recreation Specialist
Doing business locally helps stimulate the economy all the while fostering a stronger small business climate. Our business directory has over 575 members and is accessible by category or name search to assist you with all your needs.
Outdoor Recreation Specialist
|Position:||Outdoor Recreation Specialist|
|Reports to:||Programs and Guest Services Supervisor|
|Location:||Wulf & Buchanan Park Recreation Centers|
|Status:||Part-time 1 (up to 30 hours per week)|
|Hourly Wage:||$22.15-$30.66 Hourly (hiring range: $22.15-$26.41)|
The mission of the Evergreen Park & Recreation District is to improve the quality of life of the Evergreen community by providing a wide range of excellent, financially responsible park and recreation amenities while maintaining and enhancing the mountain character of the area.
Nature of Work
Under the direction of the Programs & Guest Services Supervisor, the Outdoor Recreation Specialist oversees and manages all outdoor recreational programs and climbing operations throughout the District. This position is responsible for the development of new customers and revenue streams; the coordination and implementation of marketing for each program, ensuring quality customer service and levels of service, communicating with guests regarding satisfaction and budget tracking. Furthermore, this position also plans, organizes, schedules, and implements a comprehensive climbing program and climbing camps. The areas of responsibility may include: trail races, youth and adult mountain bike programs, summer outdoor adventure camp, ice bike races, hiking, snowshoeing and community special events for the District. This position will require evening and weekend shifts given District needs.
- Manage revenues and expenditures for programs, activities and community events.
- Supervises the climbing staff, Outdoor Adventure staff, mountain bike staff and any additional part time staff.
- Evaluation of all programs to ensure they align with District vision and best use of available resources.
- Assists with supervising, hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating staff.
- Substitutes for any instructor or staff in the event of absence, etc. to ensure operations are maintained.
- Supervises employee time sheets, service requests, and incident/accident reports.
- Assists in the assignment of workloads, develops staffing patterns, and allocates resources consistent with programming goals.
- Responsible for administrative duties as required; particularly in terms of registration, data entry into district registration and reservation systems, reporting on attendance, purchase of supplies, billing for services with contractors, etc.
- Develops, implements, and tracks results of a marketing strategy with the marketing department
- Determines community needs by evaluating programs and activities; makes recommendations for improvement and future development, and implements changes.
- Conducts surveys and educates the community on District offerings.
- Assists in overseeing of equipment used in assigned areas, analyzes operations and recommends course of action.
- Prepares, enforces, maintains and modifies policies and procedures manuals.
- Builds, manages, updates, and creates items in POS/recreation software system for facility passes,
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of recreational services.
- Ensures EPRD policies, rules, and regulations are adhered to at all times by patrons and employees
- Must possess a highly defined focus toward both internal and external guest service.
- Other duties as assigned.
Management & Supervisory Duties
- Hire, train, develop, discipline and dismiss (if necessary) assigned staff.
- Assist in the timely and fair completion of annual performance reviews with all assigned staff executing salary grades with merit based salary planning.
- Schedule, attend and assist in the facilitation of all staff meetings as applicable.
- Review and approve all entries in staff time database.
- Implement all EPRD policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Attend, and actively participate in, all assigned meetings.
- Fundamental management, administration, budgeting, purchasing, personnel and financial skills necessary to effectively manage the facilities. Excellent problem solving skills.
- Must be willing to interact on a regular basis with the community and especially all stakeholders who participate in the provided programs and use of the various facilities.
- Ability to effectively manage a diverse staff.
- Must be highly motivated, organized and creative.
- Thorough knowledge of modern principles, methods, practices and equipment relating to the functional areas of responsibility.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations and standards relating to the functional areas of responsibility.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting practices, methods and procedures.
- Ability to plan, direct, supervise and evaluate programs, assess overall district effectiveness in exercising its mission.
- Ability to work within set parameters of management oversight.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a variety of audiences, including the district as a whole.
- Ability to input, obtain output, analyze and interpret data using computers and any applicable software.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise reports, studies and statistics.
- Ability to establish and follow priorities.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, coordinate, assign and evaluate the work of subordinate personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, government officials, civic organizations, community agencies and the general public.
- Ability to substitute for recreation instructors in the event of absence, et cetera.
Required Training, Experience & Qualifications
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in Recreation and Parks, P.E., Exercise Science, Physiology, Health Promotion, Kinesiology, or a closely related field or equivalent experience in the field of Parks and Recreation.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in Recreation and Parks or a closely related field with two years’ experience in a supervisory role.
- Current CPR, First Aid and AED certification required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Position Type: Part-Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - $50,000